Ferrari 250TR, Testa Rossa - 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans
The Ferrari 250TR, or Testa Rossa, was built in the late 1950s to conform with new Le Mans regulations following an attempt from the governing body to make the sport safer both both drivers and spectators. A successful anticipation of the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale’s new engine size specifications meant the Scuderia Ferrari squad was able to test and develop its new car ahead of other teams in an effort to capture the FIA World Sports Car Championship. The 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans drew huge crowds at the prospect of an exciting battle between the three main title contenders: Porsche, Aston Martin and Ferrari. Pictured above is the #12 Ferrari 250TR driven by Dan Gurney/Jean Behra. Although they put on a strong performance for the team, the duo would eventually retire from the race due to gearbox issues.